LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
confirm this with the manufacturer).
This method is illustrated in the
photo above. If you look carefully
on the receptacle body, you can see
the words “Solid wire only”—in
the case of this manufacturer, this
restriction refers to wires placed
directly under the screw head, not
in the clamp. (I checked with the
receptacle manufacturer, and they
endorsed the method of connection
that has been used.)
The second and preferred method is
to use a ring terminal or a captured
spade terminal. The spade looks like a
conventional fork terminal, except the
ends of the fork are turned up to help
hold the fork under the screw as it is
being tightened. The GFCI receptacles
I’ve wired will accept either ring
terminals or captured spade
terminals. (See the photo below.)
If your receptacle won’t, you
may want to try a different
I have a 48 DeFever trawler with
twin 3208(n) Cats. I have owned
the boat for about three years,
and the engines now have about
2,800 hours on them. Ever since I
purchased the boat, the starboard
engine has smoked at start-up, but
it clears in about a minute.
I generally run the engines at
1800 rpm; max is 2300 rpm. I am
not diligent about running my
engine up to wide-open throttle on
a regular basis, as is recommended.
About two months ago, I did run it
up to WOT for a minute. Afterward,
I noticed that the steam exiting the
starboard exhaust took on a grayish
tone. Ever since then, the color has
been consistent: white on start-up,
then turning light gray when under
way. A marine mechanic suggested
The amazing 40z®… how smart can be better than big…
• Half the Fuel Cost…$66 per hour at 25 knots instead of $170+.
• More Sociable Seating… Seats 14 people on the same deck level.
• Faster…Cruise at 30+ kts to reach destinations in time for a walk.
• More Intimate…Spacious galley and dinette arrangement below.
• Easier to Board...Stroll thru side doors at floating dock height.
• No Climbing... The fresh air flybridge is on the main deck.
• Easier to Dock…IPS joystick docking with Volvo DPS.